Almond Milk Cake
This Almond Milk Tea Cake is a guest favorite at Red Mountain Spa. It is best served for lunch, spa parties, and receptions. The recipe has a fair amount of fat from the cream cheese, egg yolks and almond paste, but it can easily be customized to use sugar substitutes. Portion control is the reason guests are able to enjoy this dessert.
- 3 egg whites
- 7 oz. almond paste
- 12 egg yolks
- 12 egg whites
- 10 oz. sugar, granulated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 oz. cake flour
- 6 cups skim milk
- 1 ½ cups honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar, granulated
- 2 cups lowfat (neufchatel) cream cheese
- ¾ tablespoon toasted crushed almond slivers
- Gradually mix 3 egg whites into almond paste to soften it.
- Whip the 12 egg yolks with 3 oz. sugar to ribbon stage.
- Add the vanilla extract and slowly add almond paste.
- Whip the 12 egg whites to soft peaks with remaining 7 oz. sugar and carefully fold into yolk mixture.
- Fold in the cake flour.
- Immediately spread the batter on a paper-lined sheet pan (do not use any spray oil).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10–12 minutes until done.
- Allow to cool. Cut cake into three equal sheets.
- Heat the milk and honey with the vanilla extract to a low simmer.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar.
- Assemble the layers by spreading lightly with a low-fat cream cheese and sugar mix.
- With a bamboo skewer or toothpick, poke holes in the sheet cake.
- Pour the warm milk mixture over the cake and refrigerate until cold.
- Cut rectangular shaped pieces about 2 X 3 inches and sprinkle with lightly toasted, crushed almond slivers.
Whether your goal is weight loss, improved athletic performance, stress relief, increased energy or simply trying something new, Red Mountain Resort offers an extensive range of enjoyable yet highly effective programs, fitness classes and workshops for all ages and abilities. Our fitness professionals can also create a customized program that assesses and addresses your specific needs.