End of Summer Almond Body Scrub
As the end of the summer season approaches, many of us are sporting that attractive tell-tale sign of fun in the sun: Peeling skin. We have an excellent recipe for an Almond Body Scrub to gently and thoroughly exfoliate the top layer of dead skin cells. Body scrubs feel wonderful and relieve the itch of flaking skin.
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon of herbs (lavender, chamomile, etc) (optional)
- Plain yogurt, milk, or buttermilk, sufficient to make a paste
- Essential Oils for scent (optional)
- Combine the dry ingredients in a blender or food processor until they are reduced to a coarse meal. Keep this "scrub base" in a glass jar with a screw top in your refrigerator until ready to use.
- When you want to use the scrub base, scoop out 1/4 cup into a small bowl, and stir in enough of the liquid ingredients (vary it by what you have on hand -- yogurt and milk are best, but water works) to make a paste.
- Yogurt and milk are natural exfoliates known as alpha hydroxy acids, and they will slough off dead skin cells even without the scrub.
- Scoop up the paste with your hands or a washcloth, and rub over your body to exfoliate peeling skin.
- Rinse thoroughly.